Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Why I Need to Stop Listening to Sermons

If you don't already know I am a dork. Many of the times I rather spend my days listening to sermons and/or documentaries and eating Nutella than going out and doing the "normal kid things".

One of my favorite types of sermons to listen to is sermons that are based upon relationships, particularly marriage. I know, I know many of you are like Whoa you need a husband first or Whoa you're too young to concern yourself with marriage. False.

I listen to relationship sermons for 2 reason, 1. Being that marriage is a direct relation to how Christ loves the Church {Eph. 5:23}, if I can get a better idea of how I should serve my husband, I can also understand how I am suppose to serve Christ and 2. One day I will date, one day I will find a hunky man who loves Jesus and I don't want to be scrambling to figure out just what the heck I am doing.

This love for relational sermons {BTDubs, these are't the only sermons I watch} came during my last relationship. One that I crashed in burn. Which brings me to the title:

*****WHY I NEED TO STOP LISTENING TO SERMONS*****
Today as I fiddled along listening to Mark Driscoll's sermon called "Real Marriage: The Respectful Wife". I started off like "OMG I got this in the bag, I am respectful." However only 20 minutes into not only did I feel convicted about prior relationships but I also felt convicted of my relationship towards my father and brother. I felt like "Wow Amanda, you're awesome... Not". 

See particularly with my last relationship, I had been conditioned to think horribly about him already. Most of the time I was crushing on him I was defending his behavior. I already had in my heart what everyone thought about him and naturally I was always defending him. So coming into a friendship with him I didn't allow myself to get to know-know him, I just built on the negativity that I already had in my heart. So as we entered into a dating a relationship those assumptions followed. Most importantly I failed to respect him. I failed to honor him. 


I do the same thing in my relationship with my father and my brother. I am always the first to jump on their case about them doing something stupid. I feel the constant need to remind my dad how forgetful he is or remind my brother how stupid he is.


With that being said, I need to stop listening to sermons because I feel convicted. Like that's a sucky feeling. Like my ego-centric attitude is being tore down and I can't deal. Like what do you mean this world doesn't revolve around me and my happiness?


Amanda:)


Check out Mark Driscoll's Sermon :)











 

No comments:

Post a Comment